Cutting the Chai has moved to a new domain: cuttingthechai.com.
You can get in touch with Soumyadip at www.soumyadip.com.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

A Hazy Shade of Winter

A Hazy Shade of Winter (Shillong)Yesterday, after a hard day's night (amongst many other things I also managed to fall into a manhole) I sat before my newly resurrected PC (it went dead again) and thought of compensating for the small fortune I spent on bringing this once-luxury-now-necessity piece of electronics back to life. But everything went blank. I felt so diminutive. The vastness and vivacity of the blogosphere and the realisation that I am but a mere speck in there took away whatever inclination I had to share my views and opinions with the world online. Does anyone even care? Is there anybody listening? I know that a few might but most importantly I do. And therefore I still blog.

I don't know why, but I feel that this song speaks about me.

I am a Rock

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
I’ve built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It’s laughter and it’s loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don't talk of love,
But I’ve heard the words before;
It’s sleeping in my memory.
I won’t disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armour,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

~Simon & Garfunkel

15 Comments:

Accidental Fame Junkie said...

You have got the blues! It happens. You feel overwhelmed by the internet? I feel like that about life itself.

If it helps, some people do care. :)

aklanta said...

even if only a handful, you will find people eager to listen to rocks...

AquaM said...

Hey there Mr.Blues..sumthin to cheer u up and no, I din't write this pome.

HAPPINESS EPIDEMIC

WIthout any warning, the disease
sweeps across the country
like a traveling circus.

People who were once blue,
who slouched from carrying
a bag of misery over one shoulder

are now clinically cheerful.
Symptoms include kind gestures,
a bouncy stride, a smile

bigger than a slice of canteloupe.
You pray that you will be infected,
hope a happy germ invades your body

and multiplies, spreading merriment
to all your major organs
like door-to-door Christmas carolers

until the virus finally reaches your heart:
that red house at the end of the block
where your deepest wishes reside,

where a dog howls behind a gate
every time that sorrow
pulls his hearse up the driveway.

-DAVID HERNANDEZ

Soumyadip said...

Thanks. :) This is better. I feel better.

Unknown said...

maybe you think too much?

They say that the left side of the brain

Controls the right

They say that the right side

Has to work hard all night

Maybe I think too much for my own good

Some people say so

Other people say no no

The fact is

You don't think as much as you could

S&G again...

Soumyadip said...

If a little blue can unleash such poesy, I'm ready to go blue all over again. Thanks, Atul.

AquaM said...

Soumya,
If you are interested, I have posted the Sanskrit definition for Guru. Sumthing that I learnt in my Sanskrit class dating back to my college days. (I hope I got it right)
Translated in english, would mean the same that u have posted in my blog. But I have no way of verifying it.

Abaniko said...

Blog addiction manifests in different ways. This is just one of those. Hehe.

Admin said...

arre yaaar, senti khaiso????

LOL, we are a nice group of friends.. years later, we will tell stories that hey remembere how we met.. over at ...whose blog was that lol

dwaipayan said...

now i'm sure that u are my cousin. u too got the 'blue' gene.do one thing....
when u r in blue, think of the happiest memories....that will work(i learn this from harry potter)

San said...

Ah but sometimes having the blue's can be a comfort - well for me anyway, just hope it doesnt last long though. Cheer up :)

KM said...

i got my foot stuck in a manhole once.
i had to wait 15 minutes while my brother recovered from his laughing fit.
:P

khair...i hope things work out for u!

dwaipayan said...

oh!!!! i forgot to ask how was ur manhole experience?????

Anonymous said...

SIGH... yeah I try not to switch on the PC when at home.. i try to be away from tech as much as possible.. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.